Tuesday 3 July 2007

Graphic Design in the Middle East

Since my travels to Damascus last year I have become very interested in Graphic Design and the development of Design in the Middle East. Alot of the design produced by Arabic speaking countries is based heavily around typogrpahy as Arabic is a beautiful language with alot of elegant contours that work well on posters.

I was delighted to find work from the East that I haven't seen before on Anna Stratigaks' Blog today. The work of Reza Abedini is really interesting becuase it combines arabic typography with illustration to produce Graphic Art, this was something I have been experimenting with and my illustrtation for D&AD New Blood was probably the most successful example of this:
This was a combination of my father's Arabic (handwritten) and my illustration influenced by Middle Estern Photojournalism.

Below are some example's of Abedini's Graphic Art:


I love the juxtaposition of the elegant contours of the Arabic typography with the almost 'urban' imagery and English Caps.

3 comments:

Melissa Zouhair said...

My work so far has also taken me down a similar road, although it focuses more Morocco and its cultural issues. Ive been there many times to visit my family and have always loved Arabic, I used to sit and watch my Cousins write. Last time I went my Uncle wrote a few things for me including my name.
I really liked those images by Reza Abedini. Beautiful use of dynamic typography. Cheers, Melissa.

Caleb said...

Thank you for your comment. I can't take credit for discovering Reza Abedini but I really like his use of Arabic calligraphy and it is something I have been trying to experiment with in my own time. Have you done any typographic experimentations with Arabic? I would love to see some of your work surrounding your experiences of Morocco, is it possible to upload any onto your blog?

Regards,

Caleb.

Unknown said...

Figure 1 is very strong, showing tragedies and disappointed hopes. My heart started to ache. Unfortunately, this is the world today !!!

Kind regards

Ryszard