Thursday 19 July 2007

James Joyce - icount Illustration

I was looking at the icount 'Stop Climate Change' book published by Penguin and I came across illustrations by James Joyce. I really like the use of line to create interesting visuals (from simple lines creating geometric shapes to elegant swirls creating trees and smoke). His drawings have the feel of children's illustration but are dealing with complex situations like climate change.

I feel that it is extremely appropriate to use a medium like illustration to get across a message as important as climate change. People might argue that this type of illustration is making-light of a serious situation but I feel that in order to inform an audience of ways to prevent drastic climate change without boring them then visual devices like illustration act as a way to do this.
For example, the illustration below carries a simple message about the environmental cost of vehicles. This illustation, to me, says more than a long-winded document about fuel-emissions.
I feel that design will have an important role in persuading people to change their current living habits and inspiring people to do something about a global issue. I don't mean to say that every designer needs to jump on the eco-bandwagon but good design and illustration (like the pieces above) can reach audiences who may be numb to facts and figures.

1 comment:

SarahFleming said...

I hadnt come across this illustrator before but his work really caught my eye here. Like you, I agree illustration like this has the potential to say alot more than an article listing facts and figures on climate change etc. There are some really strong, well communicated messages in his work - the one with the 'car = trees' has great potential to communicate the message of getting people to cut carbon emissions - it gets your attention because its unusual, it is clear in the message it is communicating and not cluttered with any other facts or figures. On a large scale, in public places, work like this could make a great campaign if stratigically placed. Imagine seeing that 'car=trees' everytime you get in/out of the car in your local car park.