Sunday 19 August 2007

Philips RobotSkin TV commercial

I don't really like razor commercials but this one seems to be breaking some of the boundaries set by its predecessors. Rather than having the female draped over a well built male this advert shows a much more intimate relationship with the feminine aspect actually being a robot (suggesting machinery and masculinity).

With imagery very similar to Bjork and Chris Cunningham's work this advert takes a refreshing break from conventional razor commercials.

2 comments:

Michelle Almond said...

I agree with what you said... the fact that it's not one of those cheesy ads which we often see... but I find this advert a little strange... I don't quite understand the concept! Is it something to do with the fact that shaving now feels soft? It reminds me of that film with will smith in... ibot...? lol.

alexheylings said...

When I first saw this advert I didn't really get it. But I now see the irony in that the female robot is envious of the mans smooth skin. I also think there is deeper meaning in that the robot is envious of mankind. The ad reminded me of a film a while back with Robin Williams. It is called the Bicentennial Man. I don't know if you've seen it (and I wouldn't recomend it), but Robin Williams is a robot who wishes to become human. As time goes on and technology advances he actually becomes more and more human. The reason I don't recommend it is because it is actually very depressing. Over the years he actually loses all the people he's fond of, and the ending is very sad too.