Saturday 18 August 2007

The Young Knives Album Cover

I was in a music shop the other day and I saw the album cover for The Young Knives cd. I am not really sure what to make of it really. I like the way the image depicts a typically british street and then a comical composition of characters related to the album title. The image reflects the music of the band quite well but theen the typography is a little confusing. By itelf the curved typogrpahy and left-alignment is aesthetically appealing but to me it doesn't relate at all to the rawness of the band's music which has been desribed as having comic lyrics, brash punk with a self-effacing, British melancholy. It seems a shame becuase as separate entities the visual components are great but as an album cover it doesn't truely represent the type of music the band make. On the other hand, it could be argued that the typography compliments the image because of its contrasting style. However, I am not yet convinced.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Neither am I (convinced that is) as you say the typography is confusing, if not just odd. Really doesnt work for me. But I suppose if its quirkey they're going for then its definatly that.